(Originally published on 25 May 2013.)
This is Scripture Roundtable 28 from The Interpreter Foundation, in which we discuss Doctrine & Covenants Gospel Doctrine Lesson #24, “Be Not Deceived, but Continue in Steadfastness,” focusing on D&C 26, 28, 43, 50, and 52, bringing in various insights to help us better understand the scriptures. These roundtables will generally follow the 2013 Gospel Doctrine schedule of scriptures, a few weeks ahead of time.
Some of the interesting discussion in this roundtable includes:
- Discussion of the historical and cultural backgrounds of the early members of the Church and how that would have potentially affected not only how many, as seekers, would find Joseph’s message attractive, but also how some would have had a hard time staying true once in the Church.
- A discussion of the use of “spirit” in D&C 50, and the scriptural ambiguity that can be seen at one and the same time as an otherworldly entity and simply a metaphorical spirit (i.e. of contention, or pride, etc).
- Cassandra’s new interpretation of “false spirits.”
- Andrew’s comments on order, epistemology, and pedagogy.
- Craig’s thoughts on the relationship between Oliver Cowdery and Hiram Page and reestablishing ancient Christianity.
This roundtable is also available as an audio podcast, and will be included in the podcast feed. You can listen by pressing the play button or download the podcast below: